I have two workshops prepared, one for children and one for adults.
Workshop: How to Design your Dragon (or Other Non-Human Character)
Based on Book: Draco’s Child
Ages: Grades 4 and up
Time: Short Presentation: 1 hour; Hands-on Workshop: 3 hours
Group size: 1 classroom.
This workshop can be either:
- a presentation that ends with suggested writing activities for the students to do later (1 hour), OR
- a hands-on workshop where students design a character and do a series of drawing and writing activities using it. (3 hours)
In both cases, I walk the students through designing a non-human character, either a fantasy character like a dragon or space alien, or an animal like a horse or a centipede. We talk about how the non-human character is built physically, and how that impacts its interaction with the world. We also think about how such a character would communicate with a human, and vice versa.
I provide a list of activities the students can do ahead of time to get them thinking of ideas, and suggestions of how they can develop their characters further.
Workshop: Introduction to Using WordPress to Create your own Website
Ages: teens or adults (although teens can probably figure it out by themselves!)
Group Size: maximum 12
Time: 6 hours instruction with a break for lunch
In this hands-on workshop, I show people how to use free WordPress software to create their own websites. Participants need to bring:
- an idea of what they want to put on their website
- a laptop
- an email account they know how to access
- digital images they want to put on their website. These must be accessible from their laptop.
The facility must have:
- enough space for everyone to set up their laptops
- a reliable internet connection that is strong enough and fast enough for everyone to be using it throughout the workshop
- a data projector and screen so I can project what I’m doing on my laptop for everyone to see.
I’ve done this one at libraries, community centres, and hotels.
- Fee: contact me
- Travel: I charge the SWG rate for mileage: 42¢/km. Or bus fare, if applicable.
- Meals: I will look after my own lunch. If I have to drive a long way, I appreciate you paying for supper.
- Accommodation: If I have to stay overnight to do the presentation, you are responsible for providing accommodation.
- Facility Rental and Publicity: your responsibility.
- If you want to book this workshop, I will send you a contract so we are clear on what the arrangements are. (Or you can send me one.)