I am available to do readings to children in classrooms and libraries. If you are in Saskatchewan, you can book a reading through the Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild’s (SWG) Author Readings Program. Otherwise, you can contact me directly.
Bill Bruin Reading
Book: Bill Bruin Shovels his Roof
Ages: Grades 1-6
Time: 45 minutes – 1 hour
In this reading, I discuss how authors get ideas. I show how I got the ideas for this book by showing pictures of northern British Columbia, where the story is set. I then read the book, and ask the children to watch for the things we talked about. Afterwards, I show some illustrations that I drew for the story before the book was published, alongside the final book illustrations. The children find things that are the same and different in each pair. This leads to a discussion of expressing stories in pictures, perspective, facial expressions, details that the illustrator added, and so on.
Time permitting, I also do an interactive poem with the children and possibly read another yet-unpublished story, asking for volunteers to act it out with props as I tell it.
Draco’s Child Reading
Book: Draco’s Child
Ages: Grades 6-12
Time: 45 minutes – 1 hour
In this reading, I talk about the research I did while writing Draco’s Child, and how the story and the research influence each other. I talk about building my fantasy world, keeping the story believable by making a lot of it Earth-like, creating my alien characters, and designing my dragon language. I illustrate the results of my research by reading short excerpts from the book. I encourage questions all through the presentation and at the end.
It is easiest to interact with the children when the group size is small, say the number that fit in one classroom. I have read to larger groups in a gymnasium, but it feels much less intimate. In a large room, I will need a microphone.
- Projector to show PowerPoint slides. I can bring the presentation on my own laptop or on a USB drive.
- Microphone if speaking in a large room.
- Small table to hold props for readings.
If you book a reading through the SWG, the amount you pay depends on the size of your school. The SWG will pay my fee and mileage costs.
If you contact me directly, I charge the SWG author rate for readings.
Rates for additional readings at the same location can be negotiated.
If you book a reading outside of the SWG, I will send you a contract before the reading so we both know what has been agreed to.
- Travel: If you book through the SWG, they pay my mileage. If not, I will charge the same rate: 42¢/km. Or bus fare, if applicable.
- Meals: I will bring my own lunch, but if I have to drive a long way, I appreciate you paying for supper.
- Accommodation: If I have to stay overnight to do the presentation, you are responsible for providing accommodation.
- Facility Rental and Publicity: your responsibility.
- Please let me know if there are any “special” things I should know, such as children with English as a second language, or no data projector available. I will adjust the reading accordingly.